Korean medical institutions are well-equipped with the latest medical equipment. Korea has ranked 3rd in terms of availability of mammogram, MRI and CT scanners per 1 million population out of 34 OECD countries in 2008.
- - No. of CT Scanner: 36.8 units per 1 million population (UK 7.4, US 34.3)
- - No. of MRI: 17.6 units per 1 million population (UK 5.6, Canada 6.7, US 25.9)
Korea has further acquired cutting-edge medical equipment such as Proton Therapy, PET-MRI, Gamma Knife and da Vinci Robot to provide even better health outcomes.
- Proton Therapy Facility
- Gamma Knife
- da Vinci Robot
Advanced technology comes with a reasonable price
Proton Therapy Center
- Available in only 29 hospitals worldwide
- $15,000-20,000 in Korea vs.
$60,000-75,000 in USA
Radiosurgery CyberKnife/Gamma Knife
- Gaining popularity in Korea
- Same procedure, lower price
- $18,000-20,000 in Korea vs.
- $38,000-55,000 in USA
- Total of 33 da Vinci Surgical Systems in place
- 1 leading hosital equipped with 5 da Vinci
Comparable quality with only about 20-30% of the cost in the USA
- Source: Center for Medicare and Medicaid Service (2010)
- Korea Health Industry Development Institute (2010)